Baby The Stars Shine Brightly

Friday, June 27, 2008

The Bargain Bin


I don't think I mentioned this before, but I picked up two copies of THE MACHINE GIRL. Why two copies? Well, it was only $12.99. Who can pass up a sale, son? A bunch of extreme Asian cinema were marked down too, but I decided to play it safe. After all, this was the only movie on sale that played at the recent LVHIFF Spring festival. Anyway, I am happy to report that I made a wise decision. Just an hour ago, I saw a couple copies of THE MACHINE GIRL at Borders for $16.99 on sale (regular price $19.99).

By the way, THE MACHINE GIRL was released direct to video on June 3, 2008. That was only weeks ago. It has not even been shown in Japan yet. Isn't that crazy? Its theatrical premiere in Japan is August 2008. How do American gore fans get so lucky? Oh, and I should mention that another crazy violent, darkly comic film from Fever Dreams is coming out soon. It's called TOKYO GORE POLICE. It stars the lead actress from AUDITION. According to the reports, this movie is even more bloodier and gorier and crazier than THE MACHINE GIRL. I don't know if America is ready for this...

Now brings me to my next topic. I think Borders is getting more expensive. I used to find so many great deals there. But now I'm seeing tons of movies that are just ridiculous. For example, I saw Godzilla: Final Wars is selling for $14.99. That's nuts. You can get the same version of this movie at Long's Drugs for $9.99. In fact, I saw at least five other films that are selling for $14.99 that you can get for just 10 bucks at Long's. Oh yeah, you can even get Wong Kar-wai's 2046 for 10 bucks. My memory sucks these days. I don't remember the other ones. But when I went to Long's tonight for a 20 pound bag of Diamond G rice (10.99, which is the cheapest in my part of the island) I noticed a cool new $9.99 release - a double feature of MAD MAX and MAD MAX: BEYOND THUNDERDOME. Pretty soon, I will list a bunch of great movies you can buy at Long's for only 10 bucks.

BUT nothing compares to my $5.00 copy of DEUCE BIGALOW 2: EUROPEAN GIGOLO. I got that at Long's, too. It is such a wonderful store.

Come to think of it, you can also find some amazing deals at Wal-Mart. I saw an enormous selection of films for $9.99. For example, BLACK SHEEP, the horror-comedy from New Zealand I have been dying to see. Ten bucks. I recall seeing a bunch of films I paid top dollar for and now run for just 10 bucks. Oh, well. At least now I can own the craptastic ULTRAVIOLET. Okay, it's one of my biggest guilty pleasures.

Recently, I checked out Wal-Mart's $5.00 closeout bin. There are so many great titles I've put off for so long including SOUTH PARK MOVIE and DROP ZONE (Wesley Snipes). If I bought them, I may not even watch them. Somehow it just feels comforting to know that I own them. Am I alone in this?

Good movies make me feel good. So what are YOU waiting for? Go out and grab some cheap movies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home